Providing residents and guests with safe celebrations the whole family can enjoy is Groveland’s gold standard of charming hospitality. The City will host a series of free, socially distant anniversary events for the community beginning Thursday, March 11, until Saturday, March 12. The wearing of face masks is strongly encouraged for all City events.
The Founders Weekend events are as follows:
• South Lake High School Wind Symphony Concert: Thursday, March 11, at 7 p.m. at Lake David Park, 450 South Lake Avenue. Guests are invited to bring their preferred refreshments while attending the concert. Socially distant circles will be available for those who desire to sit on the lawn and enjoy the musical performances.
• Second Friday Farmer’s Market: Friday, March 12, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Lake David Park. There will be live musical performances by Yesterdayze at 5 p.m. followed by Maiden Cane at 7:30 p.m. Food trucks and a wide variety of vendors will also be on-site to accommodate guests. Socially distant lawn circles will be available for guests wanting to picnic close to the amphitheater.
• Groveland Museum Expo: Saturday, March 13, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the E.L. Puryear Building, 243 South Lake Avenue. The Groveland Historical Society will showcase multiple display tables featuring the City’s multifaceted history during a Groveland Museum Expo. Local history lovers and longtime Groveland residents will not want to miss this special tribute to the past.
• Retirement Ceremony for Chief Willie Morgan: Saturday, March 13, at 2 p.m. in the E.L. Puryear Building. The City will conduct a public retirement ceremony to honor retired Groveland Fire Chief Willie Morgan, who had served as the City’s first full-time career fire chief for over 40 years.
• Great Groveland Barefoot Laps Challenge: Saturday, March 13, from noon to 5 p.m. This new attraction is a thrilling take on the classic barefoot lap endurance contest. Guests can watch waterskiers circle Lake David at 42 mph on their bare feet to see who can do the most laps around the
lake. Interested competitors are encouraged to visit https://www.feetonfirebarefoot.com/barefootlaps-challenge to register. Contestants can begin the check-in process for this event at 11 a.m.
• Saturday Live Performances: Saturday, March 13 at Lake David Park. The day’s first concert kickoff performance will be from Patrick Gibson at 11:30 a.m., followed by The Johnny Rogers Show at 1 p.m., Latin Wave at 2:45 p.m., Soul 2 Earth at 4:30 p.m. and closing with a Let’s Hang On Frankie Vallie Tribute at 6:15 p.m.
Guests are especially encouraged to note that there will be a Kids’ Zone with a variety of food trucks available for families with children. There will also be adult beverages on-site. These accommodations will be available to all from 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday, March 13.
The City is excited to host the above series of fun, safe and family-oriented anniversary events. Attendees are invited to visit the City’s website, www.groveland-fl.gov, to see more of what Groveland is offering to its residents and friends.
For more information on this event, please view the City’s Founders Weekend 2021 flyer and follow the City’s Facebook page @CityofGroveland for detailed updates.