The City of Groveland will host its February centennial celebrations featuring the years 1922 to1972.
GROVELAND (February 18, 2022) – The City of Groveland is excited to celebrate 100 years of natural charm with locals and friends from across South Lake County! February’s celebration will focus on the years 1922-1972. Each weekend festival day will include games, a kids’ zone, food trucks, exhibitors, wine and beer garden, and much more!
The February centennial events are as follows:
- “Teenway” Sock Hop and Movie Night: Friday, February 25th, 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM in the Lake David Center, located at 450 South Lake Avenue. Guests are invited to get into the groove with one of Groveland’s traditional throwback dances. In addition to this activity, the movie Grease will be shown outside of the Lake David Center for guests’ nostalgic viewing pleasure. Food trucks serving movie-time favorite refreshments will be available at this event. Guests of all ages are welcome to sport their favorite retro dance outfits and join the fun.
- Centennial Expo: Saturday and Sunday, February 26th & 27th, from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM in the E.L. Puryear Building, 243 South Lake Avenue. The Groveland Historical Society will showcase multiple display tables featuring the City’s multifaceted history during a Groveland Museum Expo. Local history lovers and longtime Groveland residents will not want to miss this special tribute to the past.
- Centennial Car Show: Saturday, February 26th, 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM, at Lake David Park, 450 South Lake Avenue. Car enthusiasts across South Lake County are welcomed to admire the various car makes and models competing for one of the 17 award classes to be given at this event. Admission is free for this event; registration to enter a vehicle in this event is $10.00. Interested applicants can register their cars by visiting www.djblubloods.com.
- Historical Groveland Carriage Rides: Saturday and Sunday, February 26th & 27th, from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM. This horse-drawn tour will last for 15 minutes, with carriages leaving every half hour. Guest will see Groveland’s oldest buildings and treasured historic landmark areas, such as the former locations of the sawmill and the canning plant. Carriage ride staging will take place on the corner of West Magnolia Street and South Lake Avenue across from the Lake David Center.
- Saturday Live Performances: February 26th, 11:00 AM – 8:00 PM at Lake David Park, 450 South Lake Avenue. Guests are invited to enjoy live performances from musical guests at the Lake David Amphitheater. The concert will feature the Lake Concert Band from 11:30 AM- 12:45 PM, Crenshaw from 1:15 PM- 2:30 PM, The Craytons from 3:00 PM – 4:15 PM, “Let’s Hang On” Frankie Valli Tribute Band from 4:45 PM- 6:00 PM, and finally Randall Crawford from 6:30 PM- 7:45 PM.
- Sunday Live Performances: February 27th, 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM at Lake David Park, 450 South Lake Avenue. Guests are invited to enjoy live performances from musical guests at the Lake David Amphitheater. The concert will feature live performing artists starting with Tobasco from 11:30 AM – 12:45 PM, Rob Nichols from 1:15 PM- 2:30 PM, Soul2Earth from 3:00 PM- 4:15 PM and concluding with an old-fashioned, late 1800s church service, conducted by a circuit-riding Preacher Cameron Cato, who will portray Groveland’s historic minister Daniel Sloan at 5:00 PM. Mr. Cato is also a Silver Spurs Rodeo champion in using the cow whip and will demonstrate this skill as part of the old-fashioned worship service.
Guests are encouraged to note that overflow parking in a designated area will be $5.00 per vehicle. All proceeds will go to a local non-profit organization.
The City of Groveland is honored to celebrate 100 years of natural charm with a series of fun, family-oriented festivities to be enjoyed by all in attendance. Those who are interested in securing some Groveland hometown items are invited to stop by the Groveland tent to purchase specialty items.
For more information, attendees can also visit our website at www.groveland-fl.gov, select the Events option, and click the Groveland Centennial Celebration tab to review additional event flyers.
For more information, please review the City’s February Centennial flyer and follow the City’s Facebook page @CityofGroveland for updates.